What Is An Annulment And Can I Obtain One Against My Spouse?

Have you surmised that  your spouse has defrauded you by entering into a sham marriage with you?  If so, and if you believe that you have been had,  you may be able to file a complaint with the New Jersey courts and obtain a Civil Annulment. A Civil Annulment is the name for the legal procedure that renders a marriage null and void, as if it had never existed.

Computer User

The Law Offices of Douglas I. Krompier MBA LLC is here to provide experienced and knowledgeable family law legal guidance and representation to those who believe they have been the unwitting victim of marriage fraud. We handle cases involving forced marriages, polygamy, immigration fraud, deception and much more.

A marriage may be annulled for a number of reasons, including the following:

  • One spouse deceived the other about his or her willingness to have children together
  • One spouse was under the age of consent
  • One spouse was already married to another person
  • One spouse was forced to marry against his or her will
  • Both spouses were closely related (brothers and sisters, first cousins, etc.)
  • At least five years of incurable mental illness
  • Immigration fraud
  • Other marriage fraud

Can A Religious Or Church Annulment Affect My Marriage Legally?

If your marriage is annulled by your church or other religious institution, it will not affect your marital status with the State of New Jersey. Alternatively, a civil annulment that changes your legal status in New Jersey will not necessarily affect your religious status. They are independent of each other.

What Is The Effect Of An Annulment?

In New Jersey, an annulment may result in the harsh result of extinguishing a person’s rights to property acquired during the marriage that but for the annulment, would have been entitling her to her equitable share, often 50%. The logic is that if the marriage is void, then there is no equitable distribution of the assets. Therefore, an annulment may be appropriate in some cases when a person who has been defrauded into a marriage, wants to hold their spouse to the law, thereby legally paying their soon to be ex-spouse absolutely nothing. If the marriage is deemed void, then the marital assets are not subject to be equitably distributed, as there is no martial estate. An annulment treats a marriage as if it never took place. Contact the Law Offices of Douglas I. Krompier MBA LLC today to schedule a Consultation to discuss how they can protect your rights at (732) 431-9188.

Contact the Law Offices of Douglas I. Krompier MBA LLC to schedule a Consultation to discuss how they can protect your rights.